Posted on 9 March 2012
In early September 2012, as part of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations, an international concours event is being held at Windsor Castle. Only 60 cars from around the world have been invited to attend, and the Pinin Farina drophead-bodied Bristol that we maintain and store for its owner is one of them.
We have looked after this car for over two years, and during that time we have given it a bare metal repaint and sourced and fitted the correct, very rare Cisitalia-type rear lamps. The car has an amazing history, the chassis number confirming it as the second production Bristol made. The car was driven as a rolling chassis to Turin in 1947 to be fitted with a coachbuilt cabriolet body by Pinin Farina. Production chassis number 1 has disappeared, but number 2 led a high profile life. It appeared in publicity photos and was rallied by Bristol director H J Aldington throughout 1948 and 1949, achieving several class wins, including on the 1949 Alpine Rally. Having then stayed in the same private ownership until the 1990s when it was fully restored by Spencer Lane-Jones, having been sent to him a very poor state. The car has a propotype Frazer Nash specification 2-litre Bristol engine, originally built by Bristol factory's aircraft engineers. The car runs beautifully, pulling surprisingly well from low speed and revving freely.
We are hoping to accompany the owner to the event....