Email Us >
The brilliantly innovative Lancia Aurelia was designed by Vittorio Jano for Lancia & C., with a ground-breaking V6 engine designed by Francesco de Virgilio. Launched in Berlina form in 1950 at the 32nd Salone dell’Automobile held in Turin, production continued until the summer of 1958 by which time six series of the B20GT - the original GT? - had been developed and produced.
The Aurelia was the first car in the world to sport a V6 engine, it also had the gearbox and differential in the rear transaxle, in-board rear brakes and an independent rear suspension that was a match for the German swing axle principles, as well as being the first car designed to use Michelin X radial ply tyres. All of this was intelligently packed into a sophisticated and fast coupe.
The fourth series introduced the new de Dion tube rear suspension and the engine was changed from white metal to shell bearings. The fourth series cars were also the first B20GTs to be available in left-hand drive and were the first Aurelias to be imported to the US in any number.
The example on offer is a matching numbers car, very complete with Nardi floor change and Nardi bonnet.
This Lancia Aurelia Series 4 is an exciting restoration project which has already been completely stripped down and the body and panels acid-dipped to reveal the (poor!) state of the original panel work. Having taken on worse examples of both 2-litre and 2.5 litre engined-cars, carried out an exactingly authentic Pebble Beach level restoration, and currently creating a highly modified (and very cool) later Aurelia, awe are equipped to restore this car to your specification!